Same tags, same categories, different image, as I’d put up too almost identical photographs without realising it. I got out in the open air with my camera yesterday for the first time for a week or so and the light was lovely, so I went a bit over the top photographing River Tweed by Coldstream Bridge. Last time I went out it was the end of summer, now the autumn is here, with that clear air that sometimes comes with this time of year. We drove to Berwick and the shadows across the fields, thrown by the early sun, were beautiful against the bleached-out autumn fields. I said I would like to get up early one day to photograph the dawn round here and the response was a derisive snort.
The reasons being that this has been one difficult week, and I would like it to be over: I have a bug; my recently renovated teeth have fallen out so I look like one of the witches from Macbeth; winter is-a-cumen in; words have been a-spoken; and although worse things happen at sea, I feel quite disorientated, annoyed and petty. At such times the computer is a comfort as one can waste a day without noticing, and then another day will come along, and by Tuesday I should at least be able to grin, or grimace, once more at the world. But moi, je ne suis pas lapin heureux.
At last I am discovering a technique that suits the atmosphere of the book, that integrates the pages, and that I enjoy doing. Also it doesn’t take too much time. The disadvantage is that I keep wanting to redo the pictures! I made an experiment with this picture in that the white lettering was done by hand on the old version and then cut and pasted on top of the main painting in Photoshop; then I used the eraser to clean it up a bit, though left a bit of the smoky background (from the old version) as I quite liked the accidental effect. It isn’t a good idea to put any text in illustrations in any kind of a permanent way because of the difficulties if the book is translated. When putting in the typed text I suddenly found that it was creating a strike through effect which I certainly did not want. But a generous lady on You Tube had been working on this effect, so I found out that I needed to highlight a scrap of text and do control/shift/slash. Thereafter the text printed out OK. The wonders of communication. The text layout is a bit dull but I can work on that; I think the basics are there now for this page.
This is another page that I have re-designed so that the text is underneath instead of integrated into the paintings. I feel this works better for the following reasons: I do not have to distort the design to fit in the text; the text itself with the plain brown space around it is more pleasing to my eyes; and the whole book is getting a more integrated feel. Another advantage is that since I already have borders, putting the text within the pictures and then having these borders just didn’t seem to work. Trial and error, all this. The doing of this book, since I have had the time to rethink how it should feel and to work my way towards this, has been a kind of miniature self-generated exercise in using my judgement.